If you are having problems in your marriage and feel that you cannot continue putting up with your spouse any more, perhaps divorce might be the right way out. Well, much as it might be easy to mention this, many people would not want to hear of the fact that their relationships are crumbling and that they might actually be headed to divorcing. When most people get married, the element of divorce never crosses their mind at any time.
Perhaps this explains why most of the married people in various parts of the world today do not plan about hiring the services of divorce lawyers or attorneys. Other people might as plan to get such attorneys in case problems come up in their relationships but the problem is that getting the services of the best attorneys out there is not only difficult but also quite expensive. However, you need to appreciate the fact that there are many instances in your life when you will get to realize that hiring the services of an attorney would be of absolute essence.
So, is someone able to handle their divorce without the involvement of an attorney? Well, the answer is yes. You are able to go through the divorce process without necessarily having to retain or seek the services of an attorney. However, there are some categories or types of divorce which demand that the role of a qualified attorney or lawyer have to be brought into the picture. The fact however still remains that you can go through divorce by yourself but you just have to be sure that you can take on the tedious task ahead also putting into considerations the emotional effect that divorce causes in your family.
Considering the huge costs that come with hiring the services of divorce lawyers in various parts of the world, many people choose the do it yourself option. People who choose to go through the divorce process by themselves have to handle all the court filings and paperwork all by their might. Much as in most instances this might sound like a viable option it is not always seen as a smart move by most experts in the legal field.
Do you need to seek the services of a divorce lawyer?
Just like I had stated above, you are able to carry on with the divorce process and complete it all by yourself today. However, hiring the services of an attorney will make sure that your interests are best represented. This is because a lawyer is an expert in such legal matters and thus he best understands the kind of processes you will have to go through. The lawyer will help you to go through these processes with much ease.
The aspect of whether you can represent yourself in a divorce case or you need to seek the services of a divorce attorney depends on the kind of case you are handling. Here is a representation of the kind of cases where these two variants would hold water;
Best self-representation cases
· Marriages where both partners have worked through the marriage, they earn comparable salary, have no minors as kids, and have not accumulated any property while together.
· Marriages where neither partner has a steady salary or income, they don’t have minors as children nor they do not have any accumulated property.
· Brief to relatively brief marriages whereby the two parties have not gotten much property together and again they don’t have any minor children.
· Where each of the parents wants the other to still stay committed to the lives of their kids
· Marriages where the partners don’t have any kids and are able to split their property and handle child support issues amicably.
· Instances where the marriage agreement provides for the care of kids and also reasonable visitation by non-custodial parents.
There are however other instances where the services offered by a divorce attorney cannot be overlooked at all.
When to hire a divorce attorney?
· If there are issues to do with abuse, divorce attorneys would come in handy. In such instances, a lawyer will help you to get the kind of arrangements you need so as to protect your kids and yourself.
· If your spouse is dishonest and you cannot cope with such character, it would also be a good idea to call on the services of a divorce attorney. The attorney will serve to protect your interests in such cases.
· It would also be a good decision to hire an attorney if your partner on the other side also has an attorney. Making such a decision is very helpful especially if you are facing complex financial issues or you have children that you have to take care of even when you separate.
These are just but a representation of some of the major instances where you might require the services of a divorce attorney. You need to weigh your case before deciding to go at it alone. Going through divorce is not as easy as many people might think.